Can dogs eat pumpkins and Other food

Can dogs eat pumpkins, sweet potatoes and nuts?
Can dogs eat pumpkins, sweet potatoes and nuts?

Can dogs eat pumpkins and Other food

Pumpkin

Dogs are known to eat almost anything, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he was attracted to a pumpkin; especially since pumpkins and gourds sometimes look like toys. “The stem and leaves are covered with prickly hairs that can hurt your pets; moreover, raw pumpkin is not particularly digestible for them,” says Dr.  Becker. So even if your dog is capable of eating a whole pumpkin raw, it’s not recommended.

Canned pumpkin, on the other hand, is another story. According to Dr.  Lobos, “canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix which contains sugar and spices) is a fabulous source of fiber and may even help reduce digestive upset. It’s also low in calories and can aid weight loss if you substitute it for some of its regular kibble. It is also an excellent source of potassium, vitamin A, iron and beta-carotene.

And if you’re roasting some pumpkin seeds, you can set some aside, raw, to offer your dog as a treat. Pumpkin seeds contain nutrients like antioxidants, which play a role in overall health. Before making any replacements, be sure to consult your veterinarian to ensure your dog’s diet is always 100% complete and balanced.

Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a great low-calorie treat choice for dogs, according to Dr. Lobos. They contain beta-carotenes, which are important contributors to vision and growth, and vitamins B6 and C. They are also a natural source of fiber,” she says.

Ditch the brown sugar, marshmallows, butter, syrup and other condiments. For most dogs, a mashed plain sweet potato will be plenty delicious. To add fat and calories would be to abuse the good things.

Hazelnut

Hazelnuts are another fall ingredient that dogs might be interested in. According to Dr.  Becker, “Hazelnuts are not toxic to dogs, but they are a choking hazard, like all nuts of the same size for that matter. Even a piece of hazelnut could pass badly through a small dog’s digestive tract.

“Keep your dog’s size in mind when deciding whether to give him a piece of hazelnut or not. Although they are delicious, they also contain a lot of fat and dogs can do without them.

No matter what kind of treats or snacks you give your dog, they should be no more than 10% of his daily calories. The other 90% should come from a complete and balanced dog food.

Keep that in mind if you decide to give any of the above fall treats to your four-legged friend. You can celebrate the season even better by giving him dog food and treats that contain some of these festive ingredients.

Leave a Comment