My dog ​​ate a chocolate chip cookie! Here’s what to do (vet’s response)

Sad looking British bulldog tempted by a plate of cookies_monkey business images_shutterstock

A dog’s inquisitive nature can often get him into trouble and in need of a trip to the vet. Their keen sense of smell can attract our pets to all sorts of household items – and they can end up eating things they shouldn’t.

Chocolate is one of our favorite snacks. However, if ingested in significant amounts, it can lead to toxicity in dogs. In addition to being found in cookies, chocolate can be an important ingredient in cookies, cakes and ice cream. If there are chocolate products left on coffee tables or countertops, your dog is likely to sniff it and eat it. We may only realize that our dog has eaten chocolate when we notice that the treat has disappeared or when our dog’s chocolate breath raises suspicion. Read on to learn more about the toxic ingredients contained in chocolate, the effects it can have on our dogs if ingested, and what to do if your dog has ingested some

 

 

What should I do if my dog ​​ate a chocolate chip cookie?

It is important to contact your veterinarian as soon as you notice that your pet has eaten chocolate. The sooner treatment is started, the better the result for your dog.

Here is a step-by-step guide of what to do if you find yourself in this situation:

1. As soon as you notice that your dog has eaten chocolate, ensure they don’t eat any more .

Keep the packaging whenever possible, as the weight of the product and the cocoa content (usually stated on the packaging) can help your veterinarian calculate whether a toxic dose has been consumed. The ingredient list on the package may also alert the vet to other toxic ingredients, such as raisins or macadamia nuts. Keep in mind that chocolate chip cookies with added chocolate chips will have more cocoa in them than a plain chocolate chip cookie – so keep an eye out for that.

2. Contact your veterinarian .

They will need to know your dog’s weight, the type of chocolate, any other ingredients in the cookie, and the amount consumed. You should also let them know if any packaging is missing. Your veterinarian will calculate the probability of toxic effects and make a recommendation. If a low dose was consumed, then it may not be necessary to provide treatment. However, if a significant dose has been consumed, your veterinarian may recommend a visit to the veterinary clinic.

3. Make sure you follow your veterinarian’s instructions .

If you caught your cookie thief early, your vet may recommend making your pet sick. However, it’s important not to do this yourself at home without your vet’s guidance. In some situations, leaving your sick dog at home can limit your dog’s treatment options. Also, the chemicals used are sometimes more toxic than chocolate and cause problems! Your vet may ask you to make your dog sick or may decide to give your dog an injection to make him vomit and empty his stomach of any chocolate chips. This will limit the amount of chocolate absorbed into the blood system.

Why are chocolate chip cookies bad for dogs?

Chocolate chip cookies contain chocolate, which is poisonous to dogs. Fortunately, the amount of chocolate in a cookie is usually small, but if the chocolate is dark chocolate or your dog eats a lot of cookies, they can be bad for dogs. Also, chocolate chip cookies can contain other ingredients that can make them worse for dogs. Added raisins, nuts or cocoa make them more toxic. It is not recommended that you feed your dog chocolate chip cookies as they can be poisonous.

divider 1

Credit: kaca.rasic, Shutterstock

Why is chocolate toxic to dogs?

Chocolate contains two ingredients that can be toxic to dogs: caffeine and theobromine. The amount of these two ingredients varies depending on the type of chocolate and the percentage of cocoa solids it contains. Dark chocolate typically contains the most of these toxic ingredients, milk chocolate has a moderate content, and white chocolate contains the least.

The type of chocolate, the amount ingested and the size of the dog all play a role in the effect on your dog. For example, if a small breed dog eats a lot of dark chocolate, there is a greater likelihood of a negative effect compared to a large dog. Therefore, the symptoms seen in our pets can range from no signs at all, a simple tummy ache to serious life-threatening problems. Chocolate and caffeine act as stimulants on the brain and heart, causing hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, muscle tremors and possibly death. Unfortunately, if left untreated, the effects of chocolate’s toxicity can lead to death within 24 hours.

The effects of chocolate’s toxicity can be seen an hour after ingestion. Other symptoms may include:

  • vomiting and diarrhea
  • weakness and tiredness
  • panting and restlessness
  • seizures

Will a piece of chocolate hurt a dog?

Unlike grape toxicity, chocolate toxicity is dose-dependent. This means it is possible to find out how dangerous it is by taking the weight or size of a dog and how much chocolate they ate. A teaspoon of dark chocolate chips weighs about ⅛oz, which is not enough to affect even a small 10-pound dog. Of course, it’s important to remember that all dogs can have allergies and susceptibilities that mean they’re more at risk, so it’s still a good idea to call your vet to check.
Will my dog ​​be okay after eating a chocolate chip cookie?

Most cases of chocolate ingestion are not fatal, and most dogs will do just fine, especially if caught early enough. If there is a delay in providing treatment, it may be necessary to administer activated charcoal to your dog as soon as he stops vomiting. Activated charcoal will bind to any residual toxins and prevent them from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

In severe cases, it may be necessary to hospitalize your pet to provide a fluid drip and supportive care to address the effects on the heart and nervous system. However, this is rare when dogs eat chocolate chip cookies, and most dogs will be fine.

divider 5

Image credit: Bruno Cervera, Pexels

Conclusion

Chocolate chip cookies are delicious for humans, but shouldn’t be given to dogs. Chocolate can be harmful to dogs, so it’s important to contact your veterinarian as soon as you notice that any type of chocolate has been eaten by your dog. They can give you personalized advice and recommendations to help you decide what to do next.

They’ll likely tell you that a piece of chocolate chip cookie doesn’t require a trip to the vet, but it’s best to be sure – if a case of chocolate ingestion is caught and treated early, the outcome is usually good. To prevent chocolate toxicity, it’s important to ensure that all chocolate items are kept in a safe place, away from our dear companions – and their prying noses!

Leave a Comment